Frequently Asked Questions
Who are you?
My name is Karen Nickel. I like to dance, sing really loud in the car and eat cake. I’m not your traditional photographer. Come to think of it, I named my sons Ocean and North so clearly I’m not your traditional anything! I live and work in Cumming, GA, which is where Karen Nickel Photography is based.
What are your favorite photographic subjects?
I love working with individuals and couples in any number of ways including portfolio photography for fashion/accessory designers and models, graduating senior portraits, my “Moms to Models” shoot for busy moms who want glamorous photos or “Beloved” sessions for couples in love.
Are you in love?
I am! I’ve been with my husband for 19 years and it’s only gotten better, which is why I have a passion for couples photography sessions. I want to work with couples and bring them to that moment when they fell in love and then capture that moment forever.
How do you describe your photography style?
I’m a natural light junkie who loves taking pictures outside. My photography sessions are a journey and it’s not all about the photos. I believe that my camera eye can be the window to your soul.
Where will we go?
My favorite locations include historical sites, downtown urban atmospheres or simple rustic outdoor fields. If you have a favorite location, let’s go there! My goal is to take unusual artistic photos that reflect your personality. Let’s work together and find out who you are.
What should I wear to a photo shoot?
Something retro, funky, interesting, vintage and unusual. Something that makes you happy. Do you have a go-to outfit that makes you feel like you’ve got it going on? That’s the outfit to wear for your photo shoot. Do you have a favorite watch, hat or scarf? Bring it! You can go as extreme as Lady Gaga and I’ll love it! I get my photographic inspiration from your style and vision; so whatever you wear, I’ll find a great way to frame it.
Is there anything that doesn’t photograph well?
Solid colored red or orange shirts reflect badly onto skin and really distinctive shoes such as basketball high tops can dominate a picture. When you choose your outfit, think about how all the pieces look together.
Also, if you only like to wear white shirts and khaki pants, I’m probably not the photographer for you. I want to photograph people who embrace a unique personal style and love to stand out in a crowd.
Should I bring props or anything personal?
Absolutely! I’ll work with anything that’s important to you. You can bring a favorite skateboard or guitar, your diary, your mother’s vintage handbag, your father’s hat or anything else. You want to get really crazy, bring an armchair or a piano! If you can get it here, I’ll find a way to work with it.
How long does a photo session last?
What types of photo sessions do you offer?
Go here for my pricing page and see all the various packages I offer as well as info about times and such.
If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
A baker. I used to have a baking business in North Carolina and I still love to bake whenever I’m happy or stressed or want something sweet. I even grind my own wheat berries into flour. Can you believe it? If you treat me to a cupcake, I’ll do just about anything.
Seriously. Bring cupcakes.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Here’s a quick list to get you started.
- Give me as much information about yourself as you can. The more I know about you, the more possibilities we can put together for your photo session.
- Please prepare for this session – the more time and effort you put into your clothes and accessories, the better the photos and the happier you’ll be with the results.
- Bring a blanket or quilt to the shoot. The ground is cold and sometimes wet. It’s good to have a blanket.
- Bring your iPod or mp3 player with your favorite music, something that makes you happy and relaxed.
- Come to the photo shoot open minded. Let’s be flexible and spontaneous so you get the best pictures.
- Don’t pick your house for the photo session. Let’s find somewhere unique and interesting so the focus is on you and not the location.
- Please don’t bring your pets. Animals are hard to wrangle and I want to focus on you.
- Couples, please don’t dress alike. I want to see both of your personalities!
Where do I start?
Email me at Karen@nickelweddings.com to set up a phone consultation or give me a call at 678-773-2562.